Sunday, December 20, 2009

How do you make your favorite recipes more healthy?

i tried making spinach dip with plain yogurt intead of with all the mayo and cheese. it was decent enough =)How do you make your favorite recipes more healthy?
I use Lite Mayo or Lite Miracle Whip in recipes. I use unsweetened applesauce in cakes, brownies, quick breads instead of oil. I use more spices when baking or broiling meats instead of fats. I always buy low fat or lite foods instead of the ';fatter'; versions. Just make smarter, healthier choices when you grocery shop and you won't be short-changed on healthy, flavorful foods.


Good luckHow do you make your favorite recipes more healthy?
I would have used low fat products for a spinach dip and not fat free or a plain yogurt. You could have cut back on the cheese and increased the spinach.





I buy lean cuts of meat from ground beef to chicken. I cook in olive oil whenever possible and avoid fried foods as much as possible. I make things like crispy baked french fries in place of deep fried. I roast or bake as many foods as possible and use low fat products versus fat free. The fat free just doesn't have much flavor.
It depends on the recipe. Sometimes, there is really no great way to lighten up a dish without the taste suffering. Like with spinach dip, I double the amount of spinach it calls for, add water chestnuts and use 1/2 light sour cream, 1/2 light mayo. It's better than the original recipe, but still totally delicious.
You do it just like you did it with your spinach dip. Subsitute things.


Instead of using regular shredded cheese, use lo-fat. Instead of sweetenning your tea with sugar, use honey, Etc.
Plain yogurt would probably ruin the integrity of the dish, you could always just use a low fat mayo and a low fat cheese to bring down the fat calories.





It's all about picking and choosing ingredients and still maintaining as much of the original taste as possible.
I have started using light or olive oil mayo. Only about 1/2 the calories.





I also try to use Pam when ever possible in a skillet.





Eat more whole grians-it just isn't as good though.
Cut back on the fat


Increase veggies where appropriate


Use nonstick cookware


Bake, broil, grill or steam cook whenever possible


Use more fruit for desserts


Count calories
I try to roast veggies %26amp; potaotes in a little olive oil %26amp; seasonings instead of steaming %26amp; using butter.
Use low fat versions of sour creams and cheeses and other condiments. The fat is what adds the flavor.
Use olive oil

No comments:

Post a Comment